Originally, when I first saw I was going to be posting on Valentine’s Day, I was going to write about it – where to go, what to get, etc. However, since today is Valentine’s, any suggestions as to where to go on a date are already all booked by now and any presents ideas are now officially “last minute”. However, as a gentle reminder to anyone in a relationship…
Today is Valentine’s Day and I hope you didn’t forget to make plans/get a gift.
On to the main topic: Winter. More specifically, Winter Blues and how to get rid of them.
I have the winter blues. I always get them around this time. Why? I think most of it is simply I hate the cold. While looking in to it, research suggests that it’s caused by the lack of vitamin D from the sun. While this might be true, I think it starts because I’m just cold all the time. Then we’re thrust back into the real world after two months of celebrating and now we’re playing catch up with our waist line and our wallets. To shake these blues, I have a few tips and tricks that I use anytime I’m feeling down.
- Commit to that diet. I don’t know if this is just me, but when I eat bad food, I feel bad. It’s time to clear out all that junk food and stock up on fruits and veggies. Seriously! It’s extremely important to stabilize your blood sugar and energy levels. All that can be accomplished by eating a well balanced diet.
- Work out in the morning. This one is extremely hard for me. I’m pretty active with dance, yoga and I do go to gym pretty regularly but all this is at the end of the day after work. To really kick these blues though, it’s key to sweat in the morning. Working out stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. Only thirty minutes of physical activity deliver oxygen and nutrients to your tissues and help your cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you have more energy. In addition, because you’re working out you will feel better about your appearance which will boost confidence. If you work out in the morning, you’re setting yourself up for a positive, energetic day.
- Challenge yourself. This could mean anything but the key is to pick something you like. Try a new hobby or take your existing hobby to another level. With me, I’ve always loved to read but now I’m pushing myself to read more and more each day. By having a challenge you enjoy, you now have something to consistently look forward to. In addition, you will feel accomplished.
- Start spring cleaning now. I hate the term “spring cleaning” because I feel like I always need to clear out my life now. I try to dedicate a weekend (or two) to really getting my life “back in order”.
- Make time for you. This one is key. You just spent a few months focusing on other people. It’s time to focus on you. Take the rest of this month, maybe until spring break even, to be kind of selfish. It’s time to really focus and make you happy.
I hope this helps. Remember, spring is just around the corner!